Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tonight's the night!

So, December 2nd came and went with no baby. My first problem is that I jinxed it by telling myself and everyone around me that I would not be going late. I kept thinking that I was so uncomfortable (can't sleep...or walk...and my stomach feels like it is being ripped apart from the inside out) and I could feel him sitting on my pelvic bone just a waitin' to come out, so there was no way that he would come after my due date. My ob seemed to think the same thing like two weeks ago, which did not help. My whole fam was here for Thanksgiving last weekend, and I was sure we would have a baby by the time they all left. They tried to give us some "alone time", and make me walk, and rub my ankles, and eat spicy food...anything to induce labor. Well, alas, here we are and still no baby. So, I've decided to give in and get induced....tonight!

I really did not want to get induced. I am going to try to have a natural birth, and induction does not help. But, my doc will only let me go a week over and it's better if Nate does not have to miss much school, so we committed. Nate and I took a hippiebirthing... no j/k... a hypnobirthing class to prepare, and they are all about avoiding introducing synthetic chemicals into our bodies during labor because our bodies are built to naturally go into labor when the baby is fully developed and ready (I thought hippies were all about drugs, but I guess the times have changed). Hypnobirthing is all about getting into a calm and relaxed state (self-hypnosis) and through breathing and visualization techniques, you are supposed to be able to minimize or diminish the pain of childbirth. Induction meds heighten the contractions and make them come closer together, and so yeah, we'll see if I make it. I hope getting induced does not sabotage my hopes of having a natural birth, but if in the end we have a healthy baby then I guess it does not much matter.

So, onto a more interesting topic.... eating the placenta. Yeah, I know it sounds disgusting. My little bro said if this is something I am seriously thinking about then I should not share it with anyone. Since when have I been a private person? Never. So here goes... in our birthing class a woman came and taught us about a process called placenta encapsulation. The premise is that during pregnancy, the placenta starts regulating hormones instead of the hypothalamus, and a woman's body has 3-4 times the normal level of hormones just before childbirth. Within four days after childbirth the hormone levels crash and it takes a few weeks for the hypothalamus to kick in and start producing hormones again. This is why 90% of women experience some level of the baby blues. So, someone came up with the idea of eating the placenta. Apparently, we are the only species of mammals that do not eat our own placentas. This woman will come to your house after you give birth and steam the placenta, put it in a dehydrator, and then comes back the next day and grinds it into a powder and puts it into capsules. You are then supposed to take three capsules per day for the first few weeks or months after birth. This is a way to use your own hormones to supplement while your body adjusts. It is supposed to help give you energy, help to produce milk, and help to avoid getting the baby blues or postpartum depression. Nate thinks that it makes complete sense from a physiologic standpoint, and he is all about it. Anything to keep me with a sound mind. So, I'm still a little undecided but I'm thinking we may try it. I'll keep you all posted. Now I just need to get over the idea of a placenta cooking in my kitchen...umm yummy!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I was wondering if you were ever going to post again! It's so funny that you're going into labor tonight cause I asked Sam about you this morning! Maybe it's the pregnancy vibe, who knows! Oh well, good luck with everything, I can't wait to meet the little guy over Christmas.

The Shill Spill said...

Wow! I must say I am a little tiny bit disturbed by the placenta idea....but I'd REALLY like to know how it works out. (And how much it costs!!!) If it works...then there is always the chance of "thinking" about the possibility! (For some future child.) Amazing, in the end...surely!
Good luck with the induction! You are a stronger woman than I, that's for sure! I am ALL about eppiderals. (Sp?) No pain?! All the gain!

Isaac, Kelsie, and Adlee said...

Yay! Baby time! Good luck...I was thinking about you last night, and cannot wait to hear the news and see the pictures!!

Ben and Natalie said...

Hey Marci- I saw on Angie's facebook that you were in labor for 22 hours and counting. I am sorry and I am sure that you have an adorable little one to show for it. I can't wait to see pics. So about the placenta thing.... I will admit that it completely grossed me out because I was picturing something completely different than pills. You will have to let us all know how that goes. Congrats and can't wait to see those pics. :)