Monday, December 8, 2008

Sawyer Mortensen












Sawyer Destroyer Mortensen (ok he still doesn't have a middle name) arrived on Friday night December 5th, at 7:22 p.m. He weighed in at 7 lbs. and 10.5 oz. and was 19.5 inches long, and he has huge hands and feet. He is so sweet and such a good baby. He had to spend a couple of hours in the nursery after he was born because he had a little trouble breathing, but everything is fine and he is doing so well. We are loving every minute and feel so blessed to have such a healthy little guy.
Now, regarding labor, it did not go exactly as planned. Let's just say that all the hypnosis in the world would not have saved me. A good idea in theory, but not quite in practice. I guess I was just not man enough for that pain!!! They started me on Thursday night at about 10:00 p.m. with Cervadil. I had pretty mild to moderate contractions through the night and into the morning. They started Pitocin at 8:00 a.m., broke my water at 10:00 a.m., and that is when the fun began. I fought through the pain for a few good hours, but they kept increasing the Pitocin which would bring the contractions on even stronger. By 3:00 p.m. I was dilated to a 6 and completely effaced, but I was barely holding on. The pain was seriously insane! The nurse told me she had to up the Pitocin again and I was sure I did not have it in me. She informed me that I probably had about four more hours of labor as generally you dilate one cm per hour. I finally conceded and got the epidural, which took another hour before the doc showed up and the pain wore off. The sweet anesthesiologist was so great and explaining the entire process to teach Nate as he prepared for the epidural, and I was holding my breath and ready to cry and scream, "just stick the damn needle in" but I bit my tongue. By the time they checked me an hour later I was dilated to a 9. It's amazing to watch a contraction on a monitor and feel nothing after feeling like I was on the brink of death just moments earlier. Okay, I'm being a little melodramatic, but seriously I underestimated this. I pushed for an hour and a half, and out popped baby. Wow!
It's been more emotional than I anticipated. I am crying all of the time because I just feel so lucky. Nate has been unbelievable. He's all about changing poopy diapers and getting peed on. We're laughing all the time. It's awesome!

11 comments:

Heather and Rich said...

OH MY GOSH YOU TWO!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! We were crossing our fingers that you would put pictures on the blog asap because we had a feeling that little Mortensen had arrived, but we wanted to see him sooo bad. Awesome. We are so excited for you guys - this is such an incredible time of your lives and we are grateful to be able to share a little bit with you by checkin out the pics! Good luck with everything, and way to go :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Marci and Nate it's JROD from softball, You're baby is so adorable!! Congrats, I'm so happy for you both. That fun has just begun!! Miss You!
Jules

Isaac, Kelsie, and Adlee said...

Yay! Congratulations! I am ashamed to say that I am kinda glad that you got an epidural. Because if the Hypno-birthing worked for you then I might have had to try it out.....and I am a big baby and would have failed miserably, in the first .02 minutes. You are amazing to have lasted as long as you did! What an adorable little mini-Nate, I can't wait to meet him!

Chris said...

OK that labor story is scaring me! I don't know if I'm ready for that, let alone Stace! Holy crap, little Sawyer is adorable, he's such a handsome little guy. I like the middle name, although let Nate know that I think Sawyer Boston sounds amazing :)

Unknown said...

He is sooooooo cute! Congratulations! I can't wait to see him. He looks like a perfect combo of both of you.

Ben and Natalie said...

Awwww! He is adorable. CONGRATS to your cute little family. I am sorry that labor didn't go as planned but I guess that is life, right? He is so cute and thanks for getting pictures up so quickly. It must have been so nice to have your family around.

Angie said...

He is a perfect combo of you two! I am so happy for both of you and I know the pain you went through...believe me! Isn't it funny how motherhood changes everything? I can't wait to see him and sad I will miss you on the 19th while we fly into vegas!

Staci said...

What a cutie and you look amazing:) I know that it's all worth it..right?!

The Shill Spill said...

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!!!! Congrats guys! Soooooooooooo happy for you! That little Sawyer is one lucky guy! Good luck!

Jessica said...

hi marci - it's your favorite murray neighbor jessica. got your blog link from britt. congrats! very exciting. he's beautiful.

Ryan and Jamie Turner said...

Marci, he is so adorable!! Congratulations. I'm so glad to hear that everything went alright and that you're doing well. :) I can't wait to meet him!