Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mama drama!

So, we have had quite the weekend in the Mortensen house. First off, I got a breast infection called mastitis, which means my right one turned bright red and hard and sore, and I got a fever of 102.7. It was Saturday night and we were trying to decide whether to go to urgent care for me...
Meanwhile, we were trying this new system for Sawyer to get him on a better sleep schedule. According to this book Babywise, you are supposed to lay the baby down in his bed and let him cry it out until he falls asleep to get him used to falling asleep in his own bed. So I wrapped him up (apparently too tightly) and put him to bed, where he proceeded to cry for 45 minutes (he's been known to be a stubborn boy). We finally decided to get him out only to discover that he was super hot from the thick blanket that was on him. It was kinda chilly when I put him down but all that crying must have been quite the workout. We took his temp because he felt so warm and it was 100.8. I called the nurse line at my ped's office and she said that I should take him to urgent care because babies under 12 weeks need attention if temp is over 100.4. We took off all of his clothes and gave him a bottle to drink and he seemed to be calming down. I thought I could tough it out til morning, but not the babe. We didn't want to go to urgent care if we didn't have to because my stupid insurance won't allow e.r. visits unless it is definitely an emergency, and there is only one 24 hour urgent care that they allow in the entire Vegas area and it's in North Vegas. Ridiculous! It was 10:00 p.m. and we knew we would likely be there most the night in a waiting room with lots of sick people. We waited 15 minutes and the temp was slowly dropping. By 45 minutes later it was right where it was supposed to be. The nurse gave me the ok to keep him home under close watch. Phew! I straight up baked my baby like a pot roast. What a horrible mother!
He did not let me forget it easily. I tried to tell him that I'm a rookie, but he wasn't having it. Sunday was paybacks. Unfortunately, I was bedridden with a horrible fever ( I did make it to urgent care but the antibiotics hadn't kicked in yet), so Nate got the brunt of it. Sawyer cried all day! He didn't have a fever and he would eat just fine, but he refused to sleep. He was so tired he had little bags under his eyes, but he was putting up a fight! Maybe he was having nightmares from the night before. Nate took it like a champ, taking care of me and Sawyer all day while still trying to study. His day finally ended at 3:00 a.m. What a hubby! Luckily, Sawyer and I pulled through unscathed. He wouldn't smile at me for a day, but now we're back on track:)

5 comments:

Casie said...

Oh my gosh! How sad and scary! I feel bad for all 3 of you on that one! I hope you get to feeling better quickly and that Sawyer keeps smiling at you now. :)

Alisha said...

I am sorry the weekend was not fun. I hope you are feeling better

TulipGirl said...

How stressful! To be honest, the ideas in Babywise are not based on what is known about infant growth and development. It isn't backed by research. Hope you don't have any more scares!

Paige said...

What a rough weekend! & don't feel bad...I've done that to Reagan several times! I'm impressed that you're trying to get Sawyer on a schedule. I didn't attempt to do that until Reagan was about 4 months old...mostly because I just couldn't let her cry it out. & mastitis SUCKS! Hope things are looking up for you now...

Angie said...

Marci,
No worries it happens to ALL of us! Having a fever and putting it on the back burner is all part of being a parent! But it is sooo hard! Wish you were here so I could help!